Postgres odbc driver bug

От Keith Millard
Тема Postgres odbc driver bug
Дата
Re: Postgres odbc driver bug
Список pgsql-interfaces

We have found a reproducible problem with the Postgres ODBC driver.  It has to do with the parameter replacement feature in the driver.  Below is a piece of test code that shows the problem.  We were able to fix the problem by making a change to execute.c in the ODBC driver code (attached).

odbc driver version : Found in both 6.50 and 7.01.0004.

postgresql database version : Found with both 7.0.2 and 7.0.3 versions of Postgres.

Server Operating System: Windows2000

Client Operation System: Windows2000

Explanation of the odbc driver bug:

   /*****************************************
    * ERROR HAPPENS HERE:
    * If we set the buffer that we binded to column "text1" now, it will FAIL.
    * The SQLExecute in doQuery() will succeed (finding 0 rows), and the
    * SQLFetchScroll call will return SQL_NO_DATA_FOUND.
    *
    * This is because of a bug in the odbc driver. The call to SQLNumResultCols
    * will execute the query in the driver, but the buffer that is binded is
    * empty, so no rows will be found.  This of course assumes that the table
    * doesn't contain any empty records for the "text1" column, which is correct
    * for our test.  Then when we call SQLExcute, the driver will realize it has
    * already done the query work and will not do it again, even though our
    * buffer for parameter substitution has changed (next line of code below
    * this comment).
    *****************************************/

 Zip file is attached.  The code is currently set up to fail, but I describe in my comments that you can uncomment the code that sets the buffer before SQLNumResultCols to make things will work.

Thanks for your attention,

Keith Millard

Keith Millard..
Senior Software Engineer..