Re: meson: Stop using deprecated way getting path of files

От Tristan Partin
Тема Re: meson: Stop using deprecated way getting path of files
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu Nov 30, 2023 at 3:46 PM CST, Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> On 2023-11-30 Th 16:00, Tristan Partin wrote:
> > On Wed Nov 29, 2023 at 1:42 PM CST, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> Hi,

> >> Old distro versions, particularly ones where the distro just has an
> >> older
> >> python. It's one thing to require installing meson but quite another
> >> to also
> >> require building python. There's some other ongoing discussion about
> >> establishing the minimum baseline in a somewhat more, uh, formalized
> >> way:
> >> https://postgr.es/m/CA%2BhUKGLhNs5geZaVNj2EJ79Dx9W8fyWUU3HxcpZy55sMGcY%3DiA%40mail.gmail.com
> >>

> > I'll take a look there. According to Meson, the following versions had
> > Python version bumps:
> >
> > 0.61.5: 3.6
> > 0.56.2: 3.5
> > 0.45.1: 3.4
> >
> > Taking a look at pkgs.org, Debian 10, Ubuntu 20.04, and Oracle Linux 7
> > (a RHEL re-spin), and CentOS 7, all have >= Python 3.6.8. Granted,
> > this isn't the whole picture of what Postgres supports from version
> > 16+. To put things in perspective, Python 3.6 was released on December
> > 23, 2016, which is coming up on 7 years. Python 3.6 reached end of
> > life on the same date in 2021.
> >
> > Is there a complete list somewhere that talks about what platforms
> > each version of Postgres supports?
>

> You can look at animals in the buildfarm. For meson only release 16 and
> up matter.

On the buildfarm page[0], it would be nice if more than just the
compiler versions were stated. It would be nice to have all
build/runtime dependencies listed. For instance, it would be interesting
if there was a json document for each build animal, and perhaps a root
json document which was an amalgomation of the individual documents.
Then I could use a tool like jq to query all the information rather
easily. As-is, I don't know where to search for package versions for
some of the archaic operating systems in the farm. Perhaps other people
have had similar problems in the past. Having a full write-up of every
build machine would also be good for debugging purposes. If I see
openssl tests suddenly failing on one machine, then I can just check the
openssl version, and try to reproduce locally.

I know the buildfarm seems to be a volunteer thing, so asking more of
them seems like a hard ask. Just wanted to throw my thoughts into the
void.

[0]: https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_members.pl

--
Tristan Partin