Re: Make documentation builds reproducible

От Tristan Partin
Тема Re: Make documentation builds reproducible
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed Aug 23, 2023 at 2:24 PM CDT, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Somewhere at PGCon, I forgot exactly where, maybe in the same meeting
> where we talked about getting rid of distprep, we talked about that the
> documentation builds are not reproducible (in the sense of
> https://reproducible-builds.org/).  This is easily fixable, the fix is
> available upstream
> (https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets/issues/54) but not
> released.  We can backpatch that into our customization layer.  The
> attached patch shows it.

I am a tiny bit confused here. The commit that solved the issue was
merged into the master branch in 2018. GitHub lists the lastest release
as being in 2020. A quick git command shows this has been in releases
since December of 2018.

    $ git --no-pager tag --contains 0763160
    ndw-test-001
    snapshot-2018-12-07-01
    snapshot-ndw-test/2019-10-04
    snapshot/2018-09-28-172
    snapshot/2018-09-28-173
    snapshot/2018-09-28-174
    snapshot/2018-09-28-175
    snapshot/2018-09-29-176
    snapshot/2018-09-29-177
    snapshot/2018-09-30-178
    snapshot/2018-09-30-179
    snapshot/2018-10-01-180
    snapshot/2018-10-02-183
    snapshot/2018-10-02-184
    snapshot/2018-10-16-185
    snapshot/2018-10-16-186
    snapshot/2018-10-21-188
    snapshot/2018-11-01-191
    snapshot/2019-10-05-bobs
    snapshot/2020-05-28-pdesjardins
    snapshot/2020-06-03

Is there anything I am missing? Is Postgres relying on releases older
than snapshot-2018-12-07-01? If so, is it possible to up the minimum
version?

> I had actually often wanted this during development.  When making
> documentation tooling changes, it's useful to be able to compare the
> output before and after, and this will eliminate false positives in that.
>
> This patch addresses both the HTML and the FO output.  The man output is
> already reproducible AFAICT.  Note that the final PDF output is
> currently not reproducible; that's a different issue that needs to be
> fixed in FOP.  (See
> https://wiki.debian.org/ReproducibleBuilds/TimestampsInPDFGeneratedByApacheFOP.)

I think reproducibility is very important. Thanks for taking this on!

--
Tristan Partin
Neon (https://neon.tech)