RE: Psql meta-command conninfo+

От Maiquel Grassi
Тема RE: Psql meta-command conninfo+
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The existing \conninfo command gets its values from libpq APIs.  You are
changing all of this to make a server query, which is a totally
different thing.  If we wanted to take a change like this, I don't think
it should be reusing the \conninfo command.

But I don't really see the point of this.  The information you are
querying is already available in various system views.  This proposal is
just a shorthand for a collection of various random things some people
like to see.  Like, by what reason is application name included as
connection info?  Why not any other session settings?  What about
long-term maintenance: By what logic should things be added to this?

--//--

Hello Peter, thank you for your participation.
No, "they are not random things that random people like to see", that's not true.
Have you read the entire conversation from the beginning? We have already
discussed it a bit and I have provided an explanation about the motivation to
implement this expansion of the "\conninfo" command. The thing is, if you
have really been or worked as a DBA on a daily basis, taking care of many
databases and PostgreSQL clusters, something like this additional command
is the shortcut that every DBA needs. The application name was a suggestion
from a member. If you think it's not necessary, we can remove it. Furthermore,
if you believe that the patch is not well implemented, you, being a PostgreSQL guru,
tell me how I can improve the current patch and we move towards v29. I'm not in
a hurry, I just want it to be implemented in the best possible shape.

Best regards,
Maiquel Grassi.