Re: GiST range-contained-by searches versus empty ranges

От Alexander Korotkov
Тема Re: GiST range-contained-by searches versus empty ranges
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
The first solution that comes to mind is to make the penalty and
picksplit functions forcibly segregate empty ranges from others, that is
a split will never put empty ranges together with non-empty ones.  Then,
we can assume that a non-empty internal node doesn't represent any empty
leaf entries, and avoid descending to it when it doesn't overlap the
target range.  Then the equality-search case could be improved too.

Thoughts, better ideas?

Have you seen my patch about GiST for range types?
There mentioned problem is solved by introduction of RANGE_CONTAIN_EMPTY bit in range flags. This bit is only used in GiST index and means that there are underlying empty ranges.

------
With best regards,
Alexander Korotkov.