Clarification on the release notes of postgresql 12 regarding pg_upgrade

От Marcelo Lacerda
Тема Clarification on the release notes of postgresql 12 regarding pg_upgrade
Дата
Список pgsql-general
There are a few instances where the release notes seem to indicate that the administrator should use pg_dump to upgrade a database so that improvements on btree can be available.

Here are they:

1.

>In new btree indexes, the maximum index entry length is reduced by eight bytes, to improve handling of duplicate entries (Peter Geoghegan)
  • > This means that a REINDEX operation on an index pg_upgrade'd from a previous release could potentially fail.

  • 2.
>Improve performance and space utilization of btree indexes with many duplicates (Peter Geoghegan, Heikki Linnakangas)
>Indexes pg_upgrade'd from previous releases will not have these benefits.

3.
>Allow multi-column btree indexes to be smaller (Peter Geoghegan, Heikki Linnakangas)
>Indexes pg_upgrade'd from previous releases will not have these benefits.

My questions are:

1. Is this a current limitation of pg_upgrade that will be dealt afterwards?

2. Are we going to see more of such cases were pg_upgrade leaves the database incompatible with newer features.

3. What's the recommendation for administrators with databases that are too large to be upgraded with pg_dump?

От: Thomas Kellerer
Сообщение: Postgres 12: backend crashes when creating non-deterministiccollation
От: greigwise
Сообщение: Re: BitmapAnd on correlated column?