Re: Users, Roles and Connection Pooling

От Matt Andrews
Тема Re: Users, Roles and Connection Pooling
Дата
Re: Users, Roles and Connection Pooling  (Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net>)
Список pgsql-general
I have little experience in this area, but it seems like having a Postgres role for every application user is the right way to do things. It’s just that it also seems really inconvenient.

For example how to map an application’s users/people table to Postgres roles? The pg_role name field is limited to 64 bytes, you can’t create a foreign key to pg_role. What’s the answer? Use UUIDs as usernames or something?

There’s very little out there on this topic, but surely this has been done before.

On Wed, 2 Oct 2019 at 17:43, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

* Laurenz Albe (laurenz.albe@cybertec.at) wrote:
> A couple of pointers:

I generally agree with these comments.

> - This is a good setup if you don't have too many users.  Metadata
>   queries will start getting slow if you get into the tens of thousands
>   of users, maybe earlier.

While this seems plausible- I'd love to hear about exactly what you've
seen start to be a problem when getting up to that many users.  Are you
just referring to things like \du?  Or..?

Thanks,

Stephen
--
Matt Andrews

0400 990 131

Сообщение: Re: Users, Roles and Connection Pooling
Сообщение: Re: Users, Roles and Connection Pooling