Re: WAL replay issue from 9.6.8 to 9.6.10

От Dave Peticolas
Тема Re: WAL replay issue from 9.6.8 to 9.6.10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 4:54 AM Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 29, 2018 at 08:31:50AM +0200, Alexander Kukushkin wrote:
>> Hello, I'm seeing some issues with WAL replay on a test server running
>> 9.6.10 using WAL archived from a 9.6.8 primary server. It reliably PANICs
>> during replay with messages like so:
>>
>> WARNING:  page 1209270272 of relation base/16422/47496599 does not exist
>> CONTEXT:  xlog redo at 4810/C84F8A0 for Btree/DELETE: 88 items
>> PANIC:  WAL contains references to invalid pages
>

> it looks like you are hitting pretty much the same problem as I:
> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/153492341830.1368.3936905691758473953%40wrigleys.postgresql.org
> The only major difference, you are restoring from the backup, while in
> my case the host running replica has crashed.
> Also in my case, the primary was already running 9.6.10.
>
> In my case, it also panics during "Btree/DELETE: XYZ items" and page
> number of relation is insanely huge.

That would be the same problem.  Dave, do you have a background worker
running in parallel or some read-only workload with backends doing
read-only operations on a standby once it has reached a consistent
point?

Oh, perhaps I do, depending on what you mean by worker. There are a couple of periodic processes that connect to the server to obtain metrics. Is that what is triggering this issue? In my case I could probably suspend them until the replay has reached the desired point.

I have noticed this behavior in the past but prior to 9.6.10 restarting the server would fix the issue. And the replay always seemed to reach a point past which the problem would not re-occur.

dave