Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER

От Jacob Champion
Тема Re: [PoC] Federated Authn/z with OAUTHBEARER
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
[re-adding the CC list I dropped earlier]

On Wed, Feb 28, 2024 at 1:52 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:

> > On 28 Feb 2024, at 22:50, Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:
> > Can you give some more details about what this python gadget would buy us? I note that there are a couple of CPAN
modulesthat provide OAuth2 servers, not sure if they would be of any use.

> The main benefit would be to be able to provide a full testharness without
> adding any additional dependencies over what we already have (Python being
> required by meson).  That should ideally make it easy to get good coverage from
> BF animals as no installation is needed.

As an additional note, the test suite ideally needs to be able to
exercise failure modes where the provider itself is malfunctioning. So
we hand-roll responses rather than deferring to an external
OAuth/OpenID implementation, which adds HTTP and JSON dependencies at
minimum, and Python includes both. See also the discussion with
Stephen upthread [1].

(I do think it'd be nice to eventually include a prepackaged OAuth
server in the test suite, to stack coverage for the happy path and
further test interoperability.)

Thanks,
--Jacob

[1] https://postgr.es/m/CAAWbhmh%2B6q4t3P%2BwDmS%3DJuHBpcgF-VM2cXNft8XV02yk-cHCpQ%40mail.gmail.com