Re: Supporting = operator in gin/gist_trgm_ops

От Julien Rouhaud
Тема Re: Supporting = operator in gin/gist_trgm_ops
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 12:19 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> Julien Rouhaud <rjuju123@gmail.com> writes:
> > On Mon, Oct 26, 2020 at 5:03 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> >> I think you may be overoptimistic about being able to use the identical
> >> code path without regard for LIKE wildcards; but certainly it should be
> >> possible to do this with not a lot of new code.  +1.
>
> > Well, that's what I was thinking too, but I tried all the possible
> > wildcard combinations I could think of and I couldn't find any case
> > yielding wrong results.  As far as I can see the index scans return at
> > least all the required rows, and all extraneous rows are correctly
> > removed either by heap recheck or index recheck.
>
> But "does it get the right answers" isn't the only figure of merit.
> If the index scan visits far more rows than necessary, that's bad.
> Maybe it's OK given that we only make trigrams from alphanumerics,
> but I'm not quite sure.

Ah, yes this might lead to bad performance if the "fake wildcard"
matches too many rows, but this shouldn't be a very common use case,
and the only alternative for that might be to create trigrams for non
alphanumerics characters.  I didn't try to do that because it would
mean meaningful overhead for mainstream usage of pg_trgm, and would
also mean on-disk format break.  In my opinion supporting = should be
a best effort, especially for such corner cases.