Re: Configuration Recommendations

От Jan Nielsen
Тема Re: Configuration Recommendations
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, May 15, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com> wrote:
>>> Is it established practice in the Postgres world to separate indexes
>>> from tables? I would assume that the reasoning of Richard Foote -
>>> albeit for Oracle databases - is also true for Postgres:
>
>> Yes, it's an established practice. I'd call it something just short of
>> a best practice though, as it really depends on your situation.
>
> What are the benefits?

Disk seeks, basically. Yes, there are a lot of complications regarding
all the various hardware/OS/PG level cachings, but at the end of the
day, it's less work to have each drive concentrate on a single area
(especially as we always require a heap scan at the moment).

Thanks for sharing your experience, Greg. What would a PG test-case for this look like?

Cheers,

Jan