Re: auto vaccum is dying

От Rodrigo Barboza
Тема Re: auto vaccum is dying
Дата
Список pgsql-performance

On Thu, Oct 2, 2014 at 12:34 PM, Jeff Janes <jeff.janes@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 9:43 PM, Rodrigo Barboza <rodrigombufrj@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I have a table that receives lots of updates and inserts.
Auto vaccum is always being cancelled on that table.

Do you have a scheduled task that clusters or reindexes the table?

Newer versions of PostgreSQL will log the conflicting statement that caused the vacuum to cancel.

I have nothing scheduled, only auto vacuum, but with the default parameters.

One day the database went on standby and I had to act manually to recover.

I'm not sure what that means.  Do you mean it stopped accepting commands to prevent "wrap around" data loss?  Once autovacuum starts running on a table in "prevent wrap around", then it no longer voluntarily yields to other processes trying to take a conflicting lock.

Exactly, stopped to prevent wrap around. I think it was because auto vacuum is being canceled.

What should I do to avoid auto vaccum cancel?

If you have scheduled jobs that do something on the table that requires a lock which conflicts with autovac, then you might want to include a manual VACUUM in that job.

Also, what full version are you running?

I am running postgres 9.1.4 with default auto vacuum parameters. I have only a scheduled job that runs delete for old tuples. Sometimes it a lot of tuples. Beside that, no other tasks.

Cheers,

Jeff