Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum

От John Naylor
Тема Re: [PoC] Improve dead tuple storage for lazy vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 7:04 PM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2024 at 6:55 PM John Naylor <johncnaylorls@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > That's a promising idea. We can use the same mechanism for randomized
> > > tests too. If you're going to work on this, I'll do other tests on my
> > > environment in the meantime.
> >
> > Some progress on this in v72 -- I tried first without using SQL to
> > save the blocks, just using the unique blocks from the verification
> > array. It seems to work fine.
>
> Thanks!

Seems I forgot the attachment last time...there's more stuff now
anyway, based on discussion.

> > - Since there are now three arrays we should reduce max bytes to
> > something smaller.
>
> Agreed.

I went further than this, see below.

> > - Further on that, I'm not sure if the "is full" test is telling us
> > much. It seems we could make max bytes a static variable and set it to
> > the size of the empty store. I'm guessing it wouldn't take much to add
> > enough tids so that the contexts need to allocate some blocks, and
> > then it would appear full and we can test that. I've made it so all
> > arrays repalloc when needed, just in case.
>
> How about using work_mem as max_bytes instead of having it as a static
> variable? In test_tidstore.sql we set work_mem before creating the
> tidstore. It would make the tidstore more controllable by SQL queries.

My complaint is that the "is full" test is trivial, and also strange
in that max_bytes is used for two unrelated things:

- the initial size of the verification arrays, which was always larger
than necessary, and now there are three of them
- the hint to TidStoreCreate to calculate its max block size / the
threshold for being "full"

To make the "is_full" test slightly less trivial, my idea is to save
the empty store size and later add enough tids so that it has to
allocate new blocks/DSA segments, which is not that many, and then it
will appear full. I've done this and also separated the purpose of
various sizes in v72-0009/10.

Using actual work_mem seems a bit more difficult to make this work.

> > - I'm not sure it's useful to keep test_lookup_tids() around. Since we
> > now have a separate lookup test, the only thing it can tell us is that
> > lookups fail on an empty store. I arranged it so that
> > check_set_block_offsets() works on an empty store. Although that's
> > even more trivial, it's just reusing what we already need.
>
> Agreed.

Removed in v72-0007

On Fri, Mar 15, 2024 at 9:49 AM Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have two questions on tidstore.c:
>
> +/*
> + * Set the given TIDs on the blkno to TidStore.
> + *
> + * NB: the offset numbers in offsets must be sorted in ascending order.
> + */
>
> Do we need some assertions to check if the given offset numbers are
> sorted expectedly?

Done in v72-0008

> ---
> +   if (TidStoreIsShared(ts))
> +       found = shared_rt_set(ts->tree.shared, blkno, page);
> +   else
> +       found = local_rt_set(ts->tree.local, blkno, page);
> +
> +   Assert(!found);
>
> Given TidStoreSetBlockOffsets() is designed to always set (i.e.
> overwrite) the value, I think we should not expect that found is
> always false.

I find that a puzzling statement, since 1) it was designed for
insert-only workloads, not actual overwrite IIRC and 2) the tests will
now fail if the same block is set twice, since we just switched the
tests to use a remnant of vacuum's old array. Having said that, I
don't object to removing artificial barriers to using it for purposes
not yet imagined, as long as test_tidstore.sql warns against that.

Given the above two things, I think this function's comment needs
stronger language about its limitations. Perhaps even mention that
it's intended for, and optimized for, vacuum. You and I have long
known that tidstore would need a separate, more complex, function to
add or remove individual tids from existing entries, but it might be
good to have that documented.

Other things:

v72-0011: Test that zero offset raises an error.

v72-0013: I had wanted to microbenchmark this, but since we are
running short of time I decided to skip that, so I want to revert some
code to make it again more similar to the equivalent in tidbitmap.c.
In the absence of evidence, it seems better to do it this way.

Вложения