Re: Change prefetch and read strategies to use range in pg_prewarm ... and raise a question about posix_fadvise WILLNEED

От Nazir Bilal Yavuz
Тема Re: Change prefetch and read strategies to use range in pg_prewarm ... and raise a question about posix_fadvise WILLNEED
Дата
Ответ на Change prefetch and read strategies to use range in pg_prewarm ... and raise a question about posix_fadvise WILLNEED  (Cedric Villemain <Cedric.Villemain+pgsql@abcSQL.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thanks for working on this!

The patches are cleanly applied on top of the current master and all
tests are passed.

On Thu, 4 Jan 2024 at 02:23, Cedric Villemain
<Cedric.Villemain+pgsql@abcsql.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I wonder what you think of making pg_prewarm use recent addition on
> smgrprefetch and readv ?
>

> In order to try, I did it anyway in the attached patches. They contain
> no doc update, but I will proceed if it is of interest.
>
> In summary:
>
> 1. The first one adds a new check on parameters (checking last block is
> indeed not before first block).
> Consequence is an ERROR is raised instead of silently doing nothing.

This is a general improvement and can be committed without other patches.

> 2. The second one does implement smgrprefetch with range and loops by
> default per segment to still have a check for interrupts.

It looks good codewise but RELSEG_SIZE is too big to prefetch. Man
page of posix_fadvise [1] states that: "The amount of data read may be
decreased by the kernel depending on virtual memory load. (A few
megabytes will usually be fully satisfied, and more is rarely
useful.)". It is trying to prefetch 1GB data now. That could explain
your observation about differences between nr_cache numbers.

> 3. The third one provides smgrreadv instead of smgrread,  by default on
> a range of 8 buffers. I am absolutely unsure that I used readv correctly...

Looks good to me.

> [...]
>            0 |       32768 |    65536 |        0
>        32768 |       32768 |    65536 |        0
>        65536 |       32768 |    65536 |        0
>        98304 |       32768 |    65536 |        0
>       131072 |        1672 |     3344 |        0
> ```
>
> # load full relation with pg_prewarm (patched)
>
> ```
> postgres=# select pg_prewarm('foo','prefetch');
> pg_prewarm
> ------------
>      132744
> (1 row)
> ```
>
> # Checking results:
>
> ```
> postgres=# select block_start, block_count, nr_pages, nr_cache from
> vm_relation_cachestat('foo',range:=1024*32);
> block_start | block_count | nr_pages | nr_cache
> -------------+-------------+----------+----------
>            0 |       32768 |    65536 |      320
>        32768 |       32768 |    65536 |        0
>        65536 |       32768 |    65536 |        0
>        98304 |       32768 |    65536 |        0
>       131072 |        1672 |     3344 |      320  <-- segment 1
>
> ```
>
> # Load block by block and check:
>
> ```
> postgres=# select from generate_series(0, 132743) g(n), lateral
> pg_prewarm('foo','prefetch', 'main', n, n);
> postgres=# select block_start, block_count, nr_pages, nr_cache from
> vm_relation_cachestat('foo',range:=1024*32);
> block_start | block_count | nr_pages | nr_cache
> -------------+-------------+----------+----------
>            0 |       32768 |    65536 |    65536
>        32768 |       32768 |    65536 |    65536
>        65536 |       32768 |    65536 |    65536
>        98304 |       32768 |    65536 |    65536
>       131072 |        1672 |     3344 |     3344
>
> ```
>
> The duration of the last example is also really significant: full
> relation is 0.3ms and block by block is 1550ms!
> You might think it's because of generate_series or whatever, but I have
> the exact same behavior with pgfincore.
> I can compare loading and unloading duration for similar "async" work,
> here each call is from block 0 with len of 132744 and a range of 1 block
> (i.e. posix_fadvise on 8kB at a time).
> So they have exactly the same number of operations doing DONTNEED or
> WILLNEED, but distinct duration on the first "load":
>
> ```
>
> postgres=# select * from
> vm_relation_fadvise('foo','main',0,132744,1,'POSIX_FADV_DONTNEED');
> vm_relation_fadvise
> ---------------------
>
> (1 row)
>
> Time: 25.202 ms
> postgres=# select * from
> vm_relation_fadvise('foo','main',0,132744,1,'POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED');
> vm_relation_fadvise
> ---------------------
>
> (1 row)
>
> Time: 1523.636 ms (00:01.524) <----- not free !
> postgres=# select * from
> vm_relation_fadvise('foo','main',0,132744,1,'POSIX_FADV_WILLNEED');

I confirm that there is a time difference between calling pg_prewarm
by full relation and block by block, but IMO this is expected. When
pg_prewarm is called by full relation, it does the initialization part
just once but when it is called block by block, it does initialization
for each call, right?

I run 'select pg_prewarm('foo','prefetch', 'main', n, n) FROM
generate_series(0, 132744)n;' a couple of times consecutively but I
could not see the time difference between first run (first load) and
the consecutive runs. Am I doing something wrong?

[1] https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man2/posix_fadvise.2.html#DESCRIPTION

--
Regards,
Nazir Bilal Yavuz