Re: 10.0

От Craig Ringer
Тема Re: 10.0
Дата
Re: 10.0  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 17 June 2016 at 08:34, Greg Stark <stark@mit.edu> wrote:

So we would release 10.0.0 and 10.0.1 and the next major release would be 11.0.0.

This would have two benefits:

1) It emphasises that minor releases continue to be safe minor updates that offer the same stability guarantees. Users would be less likely to be intimidated by 10.0.1 than they would be 10.1. And it gives users a consistent story they can apply to any version whether 9.x or 10.0+

And matches semver.

2) If we ever do release incompatible feature releases on older branches -- or more likely some fork does -- it gives them a natural way to number their release.

Seems unlikely, though.

I thought about raising this, but I think in the end it's replacing one confusing and weird versioning scheme for another confusing and weird versioning scheme.

It does have the advantage that that compare a two-part major like 090401 vs 090402 won't be confused when they compare 100100 and 100200, since it'll be 100001 and 100002. So it's more backward-compatible. But ugly.