Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column

От Isaac Morland
Тема Re: Things I don't like about \du's "Attributes" column
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 30 Dec 2023 at 09:23, Pavel Luzanov <p.luzanov@postgrespro.ru> wrote:

I think that writing the value "infinity" in places where there is no value is
not a good thing. This hides the real value of the column. In addition,
there is no reason to set "infinity" when the password is always valid with
default NULL.

Would it make sense to make the column non-nullable and always set it to infinity when there is no expiry?

In this case, I think NULL simply means infinity, so why not write that? If the timestamp type didn't have infinity, then NULL would be a natural way of saying that there is no expiry, but with infinity as a possible value, I don't see any reason to think of no expiry as being the absence of an expiry time rather than an infinite expiry time.