Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

От Isaac Morland
Тема Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On 24 July 2018 at 18:17, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> wrote:
Note that it's OK to *accidentally* implement patented algorithms as
long as the author of the contribution didn't know about.  There's no
trebble damages in that case, and no tainting of others, plus,
contributors and code reviewers/committers can't be expected to do
patent searches for each contribution.

Non-lawyer here, but "OK" is not a description I would apply to implementing a patented algorithm. You might be thinking of copyright. Of course it is true that people can't reasonably be expected to do patent searches, as you describe, but the patent system as applied to software is not well-known among knowledgeable people for being reasonable.