Re: Allowing parallel-safe initplans

От Richard Guo
Тема Re: Allowing parallel-safe initplans
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Jul 14, 2023 at 5:44 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
I tried both of those and concluded they'd be too messy for a patch
that we might find ourselves having to back-patch.  So 0001 attached
fixes it by teaching SS_finalize_plan to treat optimized MIN()/MAX()
aggregates as if they were already Params.  It's slightly annoying
to have knowledge of that optimization metastasizing into another
place, but the alternatives are even less palatable.

I tried with 0001 patch and can confirm that the wrong result issue
shown in [1] is fixed.

explain (costs off, verbose) select min(i) from a;
                        QUERY PLAN
 Gather
   Output: ($0)
   Workers Planned: 1
   Params Evaluated: $0   <==== initplan params
   Single Copy: true
   InitPlan 1 (returns $0)
     ->  Limit
           Output: a.i
           ->  Index Only Scan using a_i_j_idx on public.a
                 Output: a.i
                 Index Cond: (a.i IS NOT NULL)
   ->  Result
         Output: $0
(13 rows)

Now the Gather.initParam is filled and e89a71fb4 does its work to
transmit the Params to workers.

So +1 to 0001 patch.

I'm still resistant to the idea of kluging EXPLAIN to the extent
of hiding the EXPLAIN output changes.  It wouldn't be that hard
to do really, but I worry that such a kluge might hide real problems
in future.  So what I did in 0002 was to allow initPlans for an
injected Gather only if debug_parallel_query = on, so that there
will be a place for EXPLAIN to show them.  Other than the changes
in that area, 0002 is the same as the previous patch.