Re: Regarding the order of the header file includes

От Richard Guo
Тема Re: Regarding the order of the header file includes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Mar 8, 2024 at 6:58 PM Bharath Rupireddy <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 7, 2024 at 12:39 PM Richard Guo <guofenglinux@gmail.com> wrote:

> While rebasing one of my patches I noticed that the header file includes
> in relnode.c are not sorted in order.  So I wrote a naive script to see
> if any other C files have the same issue.  The script is:
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> find . -name "*.c" | while read -r file; do
>   headers=$(grep -o '#include "[^>]*"' "$file" |
>             grep -v "postgres.h" | grep -v "postgres_fe.h" |
>             sed 's/\.h"//g')
>
>   sorted_headers=$(echo "$headers" | sort)
>
>   results=$(diff <(echo "$headers") <(echo "$sorted_headers"))
>
>   if [[ $? != 0 ]]; then
>     echo "Headers in '$file' are out of order"
>     echo $results
>     echo
>   fi
> done

Cool. Isn't it a better idea to improve this script to auto-order the
header files and land it under src/tools/pginclude/headerssort? It can
then be reusable and be another code beautification weapon one can use
before the code release.

Yeah, perhaps.  However the current script is quite unrefined and would
require a lot of effort to make it a reusable tool.  I will add it to my
to-do list and hopefully one day I can get back to it.  Feel free to
mess around with it if someone is interested.

FWIW, I'm getting the syntax error when ran the above shell script:

headerssort.sh: 10: Syntax error: "(" unexpected

I think the error is due to line 10 containing bash-style syntax.  Hmm,
have you tried to use 'bash' instead of 'sh' to run this script?

Thanks
Richard