Re: Deadlock between concurrent index builds on different tables

От Jeremy Finzel
Тема Re: Deadlock between concurrent index builds on different tables
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
Jeremy Finzel wrote:

> >> Each index build needs to wait for all other transactions
> >> (Including the ones used by the other index build) to finish.
> >> So I don't think a deadlock here is unexpected.

> Does that mean I should never build more than one concurrent index at
> a time within the entire cluster? If so, that is not clear from the
> documentation.

No, there is no such expectation.  Jeff analyzed your scenario,
discovered a bug and sent a patch to fix it -- care to test it and
report back?  You can get it from here:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAMkU=1ztk3TpQdcUNbxq93pc80FrXUjpDWLGMeVBDx71GHNwZQ@mail.gmail.com

--
Álvaro Herrera                https://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

I would be thrilled to review it, but I need a little direction as I have not done a patch review before.  I have been reading through some of the developer FAQ and patch info. The attached file is simply a git diff, so I'm not sure how I am to use this?  Is there a specific source version I can download and compile?  I know where to get the current master, etc., from git, but where can I get the patched version or what is the proper way to apply the patch to current master?

Thanks!
Jeremy