Re: UUID v7

От Nikolay Samokhvalov
Тема Re: UUID v7
Дата
Re: UUID v7  (Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander@timescale.com>)
Re: UUID v7  (Sergey Prokhorenko <sergeyprokhorenko@yahoo.com.au>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 10:07 AM Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2024, at 13:25, Andrey Borodin <x4mmm@yandex-team.ru> wrote:
>
> Also, I've added some documentation on all functions.

Here's v12. Changes:
1. Documentation improvements
2. Code comments
3. Better commit message and reviews list

Thank you, Andrey! I have just checked v12 – cleanly applied to HEAD, and functions work well. I especially like that fact that we keep uuid_extract_time(..) here – this is a great thing to have for time-based partitioning, and in many cases we will be able to decide not to have a creation column timestamp (e.g., "created_at") at all, saving 8 bytes.

The docs and comments look great too.

Overall, the patch looks mature enough. It would be great to have it in pg17. Yes, the RFC is not fully finalized yet, but it's very close. And many libraries are already including implementation of UUIDv7 – here are some examples:

- https://www.npmjs.com/package/uuidv7
- https://crates.io/crates/uuidv7
- https://github.com/google/uuid/pull/139

Nik