Re: pg_upgrade instructions involving "rsync --size-only" might lead to standby corruption?

От Nikolay Samokhvalov
Тема Re: pg_upgrade instructions involving "rsync --size-only" might lead to standby corruption?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Jul 7, 2023 at 6:31 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
* Nikolay Samokhvalov (nik@postgres.ai) wrote:
> But this can happen with anyone who follows the procedure from the docs as
> is and doesn't do any additional steps, because in step 9 "Prepare for
> standby server upgrades":
>
> 1) there is no requirement to follow specific order to shut down the nodes
>    - "Streaming replication and log-shipping standby servers can remain
> running until a later step" should probably be changed to a
> requirement-like "keep them running"

Agreed that it would be good to clarify that the primary should be shut
down first, to make sure everything written by the primary has been
replicated to all of the replicas.

Thanks!

Here is a patch to fix the existing procedure description.

I agree with Andrey – without it, we don't have any good way to upgrade large clusters in short time. Default rsync mode (without "--size-only") takes a lot of time too, if the load is heavy.

With these adjustments, can "rsync --size-only" remain in the docs as the *fast* and safe method to upgrade standbys, or there are still some concerns related to corruption risks?
Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Preventing non-superusers from altering session authorization
Сообщение: Re: Preventing non-superusers from altering session authorization