Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Дата
Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation  (Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 9:30 AM shveta malik <shveta.malik@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 12:43 PM shveta malik <shveta.malik@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I have one concern, for synced slots on standby, how do we disallow
> > invalidation due to inactive-timeout immediately after promotion?
> >
> > For synced slots, last_inactive_time and inactive_timeout are both
> > set. Let's say I bring down primary for promotion of standby and then
> > promote standby, there are chances that it may end up invalidating
> > synced slots (considering standby is not brought down during promotion
> > and thus inactive_timeout may already be past 'last_inactive_time').
> >

> On standby, if we decide to maintain valid last_inactive_time for
> synced slots, then invalidation is correctly restricted in
> InvalidateSlotForInactiveTimeout() for synced slots using the check:
>
>         if (RecoveryInProgress() && slot->data.synced)
>                 return false;
>
> But immediately after promotion, we can not rely on the above check
> and thus possibility of synced slots invalidation is there. To
> maintain consistent behavior regarding the setting of
> last_inactive_time for synced slots, similar to user slots, one
> potential solution to prevent this invalidation issue is to update the
> last_inactive_time of all synced slots within the ShutDownSlotSync()
> function during FinishWalRecovery(). This approach ensures that
> promotion doesn't immediately invalidate slots, and henceforth, we
> possess a correct last_inactive_time as a basis for invalidation going
> forward. This will be equivalent to updating last_inactive_time during
> restart (but without actual restart during promotion).
> The plus point of maintaining last_inactive_time for synced slots
> could be, this can provide data to the user on when last time the sync
> was attempted on that particular slot by background slot sync worker
> or SQl function. Thoughts?

Please find the attached v21 patch implementing the above idea. It
also has changes for renaming last_inactive_time to inactive_since.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team

Вложения