Re: Reduce useless changes before reassembly during logical replication

От Bharath Rupireddy
Тема Re: Reduce useless changes before reassembly during logical replication
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 2:47 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 18, 2024 at 12:12 PM Bharath Rupireddy
> <bharath.rupireddyforpostgres@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Jan 17, 2024 at 11:45 AM li jie <ggysxcq@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi hackers,
> > >
> > > During logical replication, if there is a large write transaction, some
> > > spill files will be written to disk, depending on the setting of
> > > logical_decoding_work_mem.
> > >
> > > This behavior can effectively avoid OOM, but if the transaction
> > > generates a lot of change before commit, a large number of files may
> > > fill the disk. For example, you can update a TB-level table.
> > >
> > > However, I found an inelegant phenomenon. If the modified large table is not
> > > published, its changes will also be written with a large number of spill files.
> > > Look at an example below:
> >
> > Thanks. I agree that decoding and queuing the changes of unpublished
> > tables' data into reorder buffer is an unnecessary task for walsender.
> > It takes processing efforts (CPU overhead), consumes disk space and
> > uses memory configured via logical_decoding_work_mem for a replication
> > connection inefficiently.
> >

> This is all true but note that in successful cases (where the table is
> published) all the work done by FilterByTable(accessing caches,
> transaction-related stuff) can add noticeable overhead as anyway we do
> that later in pgoutput_change().

Right. Overhead for published tables need to be studied. A possible
way is to mark the checks performed in
FilterByTable/filter_by_table_cb and skip the same checks in
pgoutput_change. I'm not sure if this works without any issues though.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team