Re: Git sources doesn't contain the INSATLL file?

От tison
Тема Re: Git sources doesn't contain the INSATLL file?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi Daniel,

As a first-time developer I don't know how the released README / INSTALL are generated. So it's quite unintuitive to find the README.git file.

I may expect an entry in README or a BUILD file when I obtain the sources by git clone, while a conventional ./configure && make works so it may be fine.

I don't know why we need a different README.git file and cannot include INSTALL in the source cloned via git, so I cannot make suggestions here because the obvious solution is 'mv README.git INSTALL'.

Best,
tison.

Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> 于2023年4月7日周五 04:21写道:
> On 6 Apr 2023, at 22:13, tison <wander4096@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Hackers,
>
> I opened https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=tree and clone the repo. The README file says that I can read the INSTALL file to understand how to build from source. But there is no such file in Git sources. Is it expected? If so, why?

it's very expected, the README.git file contains:

        "In a release or snapshot tarball of PostgreSQL, a documentation file
        named INSTALL will appear in this directory.  However, this file is not
        stored in git and so will not be present if you are using a git
        checkout."

The INSTALL file was removed in 54d314c93c0baf5d3bd303d206d8ab9f58be1c37 a long
time ago.

That being said, maybe README should have wording along the lines of the above
since it's now referring to a file which might not exist?

--
Daniel Gustafsson