Re: Have pg_basebackup write "dbname" in "primary_conninfo"?

От vignesh C
Тема Re: Have pg_basebackup write "dbname" in "primary_conninfo"?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 20 Mar 2024 at 17:09, Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 5:18 PM Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu)
> <kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for giving comments!
> >
> > > This behavior makes sense to me. But do we want to handle the case of
> > > using environment variables too?
> >
> > Yeah, v5 does not consider which libpq parameters are specified by environment
> > variables. Such a variable should be used when the dbname is not expressly written
> > in the connection string.
> > Such a path was added in the v6 patch. If the dbname is not determined after
> > parsing the connection string, we call PQconndefaults() to get settings from
> > environment variables and service files [1], then start to search dbname again.
> >

> The functionality implemented by the patch looks good to me. I have
> made minor modifications in the function names, error handling,
> comments, and doc updates in the attached patch. Let me know what you
> think of the attached.

While reviewing, I found the following changes could be done:
a) we can add one test in 010_pg_basebackup.pl to verify the change
b) Here two different styles of linking is used in the document, we
can try to keep it same:
+        streaming replication and <link
linkend="logicaldecoding-replication-slots-synchronization">
+        logical replication slot synchronization</link> will use the same
+        settings later on. The dbname will be recorded only if the dbname was
+        specified explicitly in the connection string or environment variable
+        (see <xref linkend="libpq-envars"/>).

The updated patch has the changes for the same.

Regards,
Vignesh

Вложения