Re: Support logical replication of DDLs

От vignesh C
Тема Re: Support logical replication of DDLs
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 26 Apr 2023 at 12:02, Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 28, 2023 at 3:22 PM houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
> <houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tuesday, March 28, 2023 1:41 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > patch.

> > > The other idea could be to that for the new option ddl, we input command tags
> > > such that the replication will happen for those commands.
> > > For example, ALTER PUBLICATION pub2 SET (ddl = 'Create Table, Alter
> > > Table, ..'); This will obviate the need to have additional values like 'create', 'alter',
> > > and 'drop' for publish option.
> > >
> > > The other thought related to filtering is that one might want to filter DDLs and
> > > or DMLs performed by specific roles in the future. So, we then need to
> > > introduce another option ddl_role, or something like that.
> > >
> > > Can we think of some other kind of filter for DDL replication?
> >
> > I am thinking another generic syntax for ddl replication like:
> >
> > --
> > CREATE PUBLICATION pubname FOR object_type object_name with (publish = 'ddl_type');
> > --
> >
> > To replicate DDLs that happened on a table, we don't need to add new syntax or
> > option, we can extend the value for the 'publish' option like:
> >
> > To support more non-table objects replication, we can follow the same style and write it like:
> > --
> > CRAETE PUBLICATION FOR FUNCTION f1 with (publish = 'alter'); -- function
> > CRAETE PUBLICATION FOR ALL OPERATORS IN SCHEMA op_schema with (publish = 'drop'); -- operators
> > CRAETE PUBLICATION FOR ALL OBJECTS with (publish = 'alter, create, drop'); -- everything
> > --
> >
> > In this approach, we extend the publication grammar and users can
> > filter the object schema, object name, object type and ddltype. We can also add
> > more options to filter role or other infos in the future.
>
> In this approach, does the subscriber need to track what objects have
> been subscribed similar to tables? For example, suppose that we
> for the publication. What if we add function func2 to the publication?
> If we follow the current behavior, DDLs for func2 will be replicated
> to the subscriber but the subscriber won't apply it unless we refresh
> the publication of the subscription. So it seems to me that the
> subscriber needs to have a list of subscribed functions, and we will
> end up having lists of all types of objects.
>

> > ~~~~
> >
> > One more alternative could be like:
> >
> > One more alternative could be like:
> > CREATE PUBLICATION xx FOR pub_create_alter_table WITH (ddl = 'table:create,alter'); -- it will publish create table
andalter table operations.
> > CREATE PUBLICATION xx FOR pub_all_table WITH (ddl = 'table:all'); -- This means all table operations
create/alter/drop
> > CREATE PUBLICATION xx FOR pub_all_table WITH (ddl = 'table'); -- same as above
> >
> > This can be extended later to:
> > CREATE PUBLICATION xx FOR pub_all_func WITH (ddl = 'function:all');
> [...]

Those were table names, I'm slightly modifying the examples to make it
more clearer:
ex 1: CREATE PUBLICATION pub1 FOR table employee, department, sales
WITH (ddl = 'table:create,alter');
In this I meant that create/alter operation on table employee,
department and sales will be replicated to the subscriber.

ex 2: CREATE PUBLICATION pub2 FOR table employee, department, sales
WITH (ddl = 'table:all');
In this I meant that it will replicate all ddl operations(create/alter
and drop) on table employee, department and sales to the subscriber

ex 3: CREATE PUBLICATION pub3 FOR table employee, department, sales
WITH (ddl = 'table');
This is same as example 2, only advantage here is that user need not
specify ":all" along with the syntax, by default it will replicate all
the table operations create/alter and drop.

The create publication syntax will be the same existing syntax, only
change is the addition of the following in the with option:
ddl = table
ddl = table:all
ddl = table:create|alter|drop

Regards,