Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes

От Chris Travers
Тема Re: [pgsql-advocacy] PostgreSQL 10: Call for Quotes
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy

On Fri, Sep 1, 2017 at 7:35 AM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

This is very good work, well done.

We've discussed my misgivings about hash indexes face to face, so
forgive me if I repeat some of them here.

Hash indexes work well for equality lookups on unique data, yet do not
yet themselves enforce uniqueness, so you are forced to have a btree
anyway. Expanding the hash index gives operational issues and we have
no measurements of the effects of that - not something we should be
letting people discover in production. Some concern over write
performance, especially since no published measurements.

BRIN suffered from people misunderstanding its use case, so perhaps we
can avoid a repeat of that.

Are we safe to draw attention to these indexes, for a particular use
case? Can we get a clear statement of what that is? If we can, I would
incline towards adding them to the major items list.

I would like to second this and add a note.

I ran a small benchmark myself on tables inserting large numbers of uuids (5 million).  These went first into a holding table.  Then in the benchmark I did an insert .... select....;

Three tables:
1.  Unindexed (control)
2.  Btree
3.  Hash

What I found was that in my tests, hash indexes were marginally faster for lookups.
Btrees handled inserts far better (20% improvement *worst case* and 300% improvement *best case*)

So from this I concluded that this was not the use case for hash indexes.

But I would be very interested in where the use cases are.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers

--
Simon Riggs                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/