Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit

От Scott Mead
Тема Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 1:27 AM, Rok Kralj <rok.kralj@gmail.com> wrote:

Most popular questions on every topic are the simplest ones. Imagine a parallel universe where this patch is contained in the codebase - I argue this question about exiting the repl still is the top one, albeit with less votes.

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017, 11:03 Michael Paquier <michael.paquier@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 3:56 AM, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Daniel Vérité" <daniel@manitou-mail.org> wrote:
>> When looking at the most popular postgres questions on stackoverflow:
>>
>> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/postgresql?sort=votes
>>
>> the first one (most up-voted) happens to be:
>>
>> "How to exit from PostgreSQL command line utility: psql"
>>
>> now at 430k views and 1368 upvotes.
>
> Wow, that's pretty crazy.  I was going to vote against this proposal,
> but I think I might change my mind.  How can we say that this isn't a
> problem for users given that data?  It's evidently not only *a*
> problem, but arguably the biggest one.

That's an impressive number, indeed. And an argument about potentially
doing something.

Far less concrete, I can tell you this: Over the last 10 years, I've averaged teaching ~ 2 PG classes per quarter to students from every background: Database (you name it), OS admin, developer, consultant, etc...

I have the students use pgbench to generate some data, run some queries and pg_dump it.

EVERY single class has at least one:

postgres=# \dt
              List of relations
 Schema |       Name       | Type  |  Owner
--------+------------------+-------+----------
 public | pgbench_accounts | table | postgres
 public | pgbench_branches | table | postgres
 public | pgbench_history  | table | postgres
 public | pgbench_tellers  | table | postgres
(4 rows)

postgres=# exit
postgres-# pg_dump

postgres-# pg_dump

postgres-# pg_dump
postgres-# pg_dump --help
postgres-# ls
postgres-# cd
postgres-# exit
postgres-# quit
postgres-#

It's not just usability, it's a point of serious frustration for seasoned database people.

+1

--
Michael

Scott Mead
Sr. Architect
OpenSCG

Сообщение: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit
Сообщение: Re: proposal: alternative psql commands quit and exit