Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 6:14 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:

> But the point that we should introduce a 2 still stands.  The new code
> would mean: use text output functions but that there is no inherent
> tabular structure in the underlying contents.  Instead the copy format
> was JSON and the output layout is dependent upon the json options in the
> copy command and that there really shouldn't be any attempt to turn the
> contents directly into a tabular data structure like you presently do
> with the CSV data under format 0.  Ignore the column count and column
> formats as they are fixed or non-existent.

I think that amounts to a protocol change, which we tend to avoid at all
costs.

I wasn't sure on that point but figured it might be the case.  It is a value change, not structural, which seems like it is the kind of modification any living system might allow and be expected to have.  But I also don't see any known problem with the current change of content semantics without the format identification change.  Most of the relevant context ends up out-of-band in the copy command itself.

David J.