Re: Getting started guide does not start from first step

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Getting started guide does not start from first step
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

On Sunday, March 25, 2018, PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/tutorial-createdb.html

You should learn from the most recent version of the docs, 10.  9.0 is obsolete.

I'm new to PostgreSQL and following the getting started guide. I expected it
to start from zero, but it assumes the reader already has a database up and
running and is already connected to it.

There are many different "zero" points - which is touched on in the "installation" chapter.

1.3 Creating a database
I got here and tried the command `createdb mydb`, but it didn't work. I had
connected to the database (sudo su - postgres) and thought that was the only
step because the command prompt was now `postgre@username`.

su doesn't connect one to the database, it changes the active o/s user.  Not sure about the prompt...

You say it didn't work but I'm suspicious you are mistaken.  The guide says "If this produces no response then this step was successful and you can skip over the remainder of this section."

After quite a
bit of beginner searching on the internet, I found I then had to type `psql`
to actually connect.

It'd be really great for new users if the Getting Started guide was more of
a walkthrough that contained all the steps--even those little ones of
getting connected that experienced users overlook.

The very next chapter is "accessing a database" ... it's first command is "psql mydb"

David J.