Re: BUG #16381: create table in pgAdmin4 but unable to use it in SQL

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #16381: create table in pgAdmin4 but unable to use it in SQL
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Sunday, April 19, 2020, PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      16381
Logged by:          Wang Zehao
Email address:      wangzehao1007@qq.com
PostgreSQL version: 12.0
Operating system:   win10

When I was using pdAdmin4(Web UI) to create a table named 'Example' (with
capital E), it executed successfully and I can saw the table on the sidebar.
But when I opened the query tool on this table and tried to run ```insert
into Example with value(a, b, c)```,it raises an error telling 'the table
can't be found'. Then I changed the name of that table to 'example'(with
lowercase e) (I changed it by right-clicking this table on sidebar and
rename) and ran the exactly same SQL sentence, it executed perfectly.
Maybe there should be a warning or a prevention when anyone try to create a
table using GUI with capital letters in the name of it. Or maybe it's just a
wrong operation by myself?

PgAdmin has its own list/support channels where problems and suggestions can be sent.  This list is for reporting bugs (which this is not) on the PostgreSQL server and the projects official related programs.

That said everything is working as it should.  Warnings like what you suggest become annoying once you’ve learned how things work, for which the documentation is the place to reference.  In this case the syntax of identifiers.

David J.