Re: Change COPY ... ON_ERROR ignore to ON_ERROR ignore_row

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Change COPY ... ON_ERROR ignore to ON_ERROR ignore_row
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Feb 16, 2024 at 1:16 PM Jim Jones <jim.jones@uni-muenster.de> wrote:
In case all columns of a record have been set to null due to data type
incompatibility, should we insert it at all?

Yes.  In particular not all columns in the table need be specified in the copy command so while the parsed input data is all nulls the record itself may not be.

The system should allow the user to exclude rows with incomplete data by ignoring a not null constraint violation.

In short we shouldn't judge non-usefulness and instead give tools to the user to decide for themselves.

David J.