Re: BUG #15974: Concact with || doesn't work, but function CONCAT () works

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: BUG #15974: Concact with || doesn't work, but function CONCAT () works
Дата
Список pgsql-bugs
On Fri, Aug 23, 2019 at 4:17 AM PG Bug reporting form <noreply@postgresql.org> wrote:

Bug reference:      15974
Logged by:          Tessari Andrea
Email address:      tessari@gmail.com
PostgreSQL version: 11.4
Operating system:   linux - Red Hat 7.6

Example.
 ( I test on postgres 11.4 and postgres 10.9 (edb) )

create table AA3 (CLIV CHAR(2), SSTT CHAR(1));
 INSERT INTO AA3 (CLIV,SSTT)  VALUES ('  ','2');

In general most behaviors involving the "char" data type are what they are and you can either accept them as-is or change to text to get more logical/consistent behavior.

If you want a more in depth analysis of how char behaves in various situations there are a number of posts in the archives where people have taken the time to explain in detail what is happening.  Or someone may do that here...but that someone isn't me.

If you want to claim these are buggy you'd need to point to documentation that isn't being adhered to not just expectations.

David J.