Re: initdb username doc bug

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: initdb username doc bug
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On Saturday, January 6, 2024, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
This commit:

        commit 910cab820d
        Author: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
        Date:   Fri Nov 18 11:59:26 2022 +0100

            Add glossary entries related to superusers

            Extracted from a more ambitious patch.

            Author: David G. Johnston <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>
            Discussion: https://postgr.es/m/CAKFQuwZC4K0XYBm0bwBMDOZySBqhOSekDhLuaw4vPi+ozi8gqQ@mail.gmail.com

used this text for the --username option:

       -U username
       --username=username
           Selects the user name of the bootstrap superuser. This defaults
           to the name of the cluster owner.

This seems wrong since the cluster owner doesn't exist until the cluster
is created.  The text exists in PG 16 and master.  The attached patch
fixes this.

The glossary defines cluster owner as the pre-existing operating system user.  There may be an argument that installation user is a better term but the existing choice isn’t wrong.  If you are going to change it you need to update the glossary as well.  The description in initdb uses cluster owner as well.

I agree we presently use a mix of set and specify in these definitions so the word choice of selects is out-of-place.

David J.