Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 2:34 PM, Don Seiler <don@seiler.us> wrote:
On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Vik Fearing <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
On 10/18/2017 08:17 PM, Don Seiler wrote:

> I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
> Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
> appreciated by the community.

Yeah, let others do it for you!  Great attitude.

It's a realistic, practical attitude. I'm sorry that not every company wants to offer the resources to contribute back to the community as much as you want. But it's foolish to expect a company to perform their development lifecycle against betas and RCs. They have their own products to worry about. A gallant few may let their DBAs do some sandbox testing to contribute time back to the community, but you can't expect them to.

​Both sides have made their point here - any more opinions or justifications are going to just end up devolving into commentary that is unacceptable on these lists.​  The community benefits from people who do more than just run production servers while the business world has limited resources to do not directly business related activities.  I feel that those familiar with those dynamics are not surprised that someone would choose to upgrade to 9.6.5 now since the 10.x series is still .0

If someone wants to espouse the business benefits of running pre-release versions in staging environments against stable business code please start a new thread focused on the "process" and not the "people".

David J.

Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!