Re: [DOCS] Stats views and functions not in order?

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: [DOCS] Stats views and functions not in order?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jan 18, 2023 at 8:38 AM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> ...  I was going for the html effect
> of having these views chunked into their own pages, any other changes being
> non-detrimental.

But is that a result we want?  It will for example break any bookmarks
that people might have for these documentation entries.  It will also
pretty thoroughly break the cross-version navigation links in this
part of the docs.

Maybe the benefit is worth those costs, but I'm entirely not convinced
of that.  I think we need to tread pretty lightly when rearranging
longstanding documentation-layout decisions.

Fair points.

The external linking can be solved with redirect rules, as I believe we've done before, and fairly recently.  Even if not I think when they see why the break happened they will be happy for the improved user experience.

I do think it is important enough a change to warrant breaking the cross-version navigation links.  I can imagine a linking scheme that would still work but I'm doubtful that this is important enough to expend the development effort.

David J.