Re: Changed SRF in targetlist handling

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Changed SRF in targetlist handling
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 3:26 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> ... I guess I'd prefer #2 to #2.5, #2.5 to #3, and #3 to #1.
> I really don't like #1 much - I think I'd almost rather do nothing.

FWIW, that's about my evaluation of the alternatives as well.  I fear
that #1 would get a lot of pushback.  If we think that something like
"LATERAL ROWS FROM STRICT" is worth having on its own merits, then
doing #2.5 seems worthwhile to me, but otherwise I'm just as happy
with #2.  David J. seems to feel that throwing an error (as in #2.5)
rather than silently behaving incompatibly (as in #2) is important,
but I'm not convinced.  In a green field I think we'd prefer #2 over
#2.5, so I'd rather go that direction.

​I suspect the decision to error or not is a one or two line change in whatever form the final patch takes.  It seems like approach #2 is acceptable on a theoretical level which implies there is no desire to make the existing LCM behavior available post-patch.

Assuming it is simple then everyone will have a chance to make their opinion known on whether the 2.0 or 2.5 variation is preferable for the final commit.  If a decision needs to be made sooner due to a design decision I'd hope the author of the patch would make that known so we can bring this to resolution at that point instead.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code
Сообщение: Re: Reviewing freeze map code