Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO

От David G. Johnston
Тема Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 5:57 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> wrote:
On 12/6/23 19:39, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 6, 2023 at 4:45 PM Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com
> <mailto:mail@joeconway.com>> wrote:

> But I still cannot shake the belief that using a format code of 1 -
> which really could be interpreted as meaning "textual csv" in practice -
> for this JSON output is unwise and we should introduce a new integer
> value for the new fundamental output format.

No, I am pretty sure you still have that wrong. The "1" means binary
mode

Ok.  I made the same typo twice, I did mean to write 0 instead of 1.  But the point that we should introduce a 2 still stands.  The new code would mean: use text output functions but that there is no inherent tabular structure in the underlying contents.  Instead the copy format was JSON and the output layout is dependent upon the json options in the copy command and that there really shouldn't be any attempt to turn the contents directly into a tabular data structure like you presently do with the CSV data under format 0.  Ignore the column count and column formats as they are fixed or non-existent.

David J.

Сообщение: Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO
Сообщение: Re: Emitting JSON to file using COPY TO