Re: Tarball builds in the new world order

От Greg Sabino Mullane
Тема Re: Tarball builds in the new world order
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Apr 23, 2024 at 6:06 PM Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
This change seems like a good thing anyway for anyone who's tempted
to use "make dist" manually, since they wouldn't necessarily want
to package HEAD either.  Now, if we just do it exactly like that
then trying to "make dist" without setting PG_COMMIT_HASH will
fail, since "git archive" has no default for its <tree-ish>
argument.  I can't quite decide if that's a good thing, or if we
should hack the makefile a little further to allow PG_COMMIT_HASH
to default to HEAD.

Just having it fail seems harsh. What if we had plain "make dist" at least output a friendly hint about "please specify a hash"? That seems better than an implicit HEAD default, as they can manually set it to HEAD themselves per the hint.

Cheers,
Greg