Re: Drastic select count performance hit when jsonb GIN indices are present

От Maxim Boguk
Тема Re: Drastic select count performance hit when jsonb GIN indices are present
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Getting back to my original point - you pointed out that for queries that need a decent % of the table it will be cheaper to do a scan, which is exactly what the query planner does for the relational version. If it only needs a small % of the values it looks at the index and for a large % it goes for a scan (it also puts everything in shared buffers and is lightening quick!). Is this just a lack of maturity in the jsonb planner or am I missing something?

​Hi Anton,

Good selectivity estimators exists only for the scalar data types.
For the complex data types such as json/jsonb introducing a reasonable selectivity estimator is very complicated task, so database could only guess in this cases.
In your case the database guessed amount of returned rows with 3 order of magnitude error (estimated 3716 rows, actually 1417152 rows).
Personally, I don't expect serious progress in json/jsonb selectivity estimators in short future, so better to avoid using a low-selectivity queries against indexed json/jsonb fields.

--
Maxim Boguk
Senior Postgresql DBA

Phone RU: +7 910 405 4718
Phone AU: +61 45 218 5678

LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/maksym-boguk/80/b99/b1b
Skype: maxim.boguk
Jabber: maxim.boguk@gmail.com
МойКруг: http://mboguk.moikrug.ru/

"People problems are solved with people.
If people cannot solve the problem, try technology.
People will then wish they'd listened at the first stage."

Сообщение: Re: How to install pgAdmin 1.20 on Mint Rebecca?
Сообщение: Re: How to install pgAdmin 1.20 on Mint Rebecca?