Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

От shveta malik
Тема Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Дата
Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation  (Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Mar 25, 2024 at 1:37 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Yeah, and I can see last_inactive_time is moving on the standby (while not the
> case on the primary), probably due to the sync worker slot acquisition/release
> which does not seem right.

Yes, you are right, last_inactive_time keeps on moving for synced
slots on standby.  Once I disabled slot-sync worker, then it is
constant. Then it only changes if I call pg_sync_replication_slots().

On a  different note, I noticed that we allow altering
inactive_timeout for synced-slots on standby. And again overwrite it
with the primary's value in the next sync cycle. Steps:

====================
--Check pg_replication_slots for synced slot on standby, inactive_timeout is 120
   slot_name   | failover | synced | active | inactive_timeout
---------------+----------+--------+--------+------------------
 logical_slot1 | t        | t      | f      |              120

--Alter on standby
SELECT 'alter' FROM pg_alter_replication_slot('logical_slot1', 900);

--Check pg_replication_slots:
   slot_name   | failover | synced | active | inactive_timeout
---------------+----------+--------+--------+------------------
 logical_slot1 | t        | t      | f      |              900

--Run sync function
SELECT pg_sync_replication_slots();

--check again, inactive_timeout is set back to primary's value.
   slot_name   | failover | synced | active | inactive_timeout
---------------+----------+--------+--------+------------------
 logical_slot1 | t        | t      | f      |              120

inactive_timeout of existing slot  ([1])
2) last_inactive_time set for synced slots may result in invalidation
of slot on promotion.  ([2])
3) alter replication slot to alter inactive_timout for synced slots on
standby, should this be allowed?

[1]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJpy0uAqBi%2BGbNn2ngJ-A_Z905CD3ss896bqY2ACUjGiF1Gkng%40mail.gmail.com
[2]: https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAJpy0uCLu%2BmqAwAMum%3DpXE9YYsy0BE7hOSw_Wno5vjwpFY%3D63g%40mail.gmail.com

thanks