Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

От shveta malik
Тема Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Mar 26, 2024 at 3:50 PM Bertrand Drouvot
<bertranddrouvot.pg@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > I think there may have been some misunderstanding here.
>
> Indeed ;-)
>
> > But now if I
> > rethink this, I am fine with 'inactive_since' getting synced from
> > primary to standby. But if we do that, we need to add docs stating
> > "inactive_since" represents primary's inactivity and not standby's
> > slots inactivity for synced slots.
>
> Yeah sure.
>
> > The reason for this clarification
> > is that the synced slot might be generated much later, yet
> > 'inactive_since' is synced from the primary, potentially indicating a
> > time considerably earlier than when the synced slot was actually
> > created.
>
> Right.
>
> > Another approach could be that "inactive_since" for synced slot
> > actually gives its own inactivity data rather than giving primary's
> > slot data. We update inactive_since on standby only at 3 occasions:
> > 1) at the time of creation of the synced slot.
> > 2) during standby restart.
> > 3) during promotion of standby.
> >
> > I have attached a sample patch for this idea as.txt file.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > I am fine with any of these approaches.  One gives data synced from
> > primary for synced slots, while another gives actual inactivity data
> > of synced slots.
>
> What about another approach?: inactive_since gives data synced from primary for
> synced slots and another dedicated field (could be added later...) could
> represent what you suggest as the other option.

Yes, okay with me. I think there is some confusion here as well. In my
second approach above, I have not suggested anything related to
sync-worker. We can think on that later if we really need another
field which give us sync time.  In my second approach, I have tried to
avoid updating inactive_since for synced slots during sync process. We
update that field during creation of synced slot so that
inactive_since reflects correct info even for synced slots (rather
than copying from primary). Please have a look at my patch and let me
know your thoughts. I am fine with copying it from primary as well and
documenting this behaviour.

> Another cons of updating inactive_since at the current time during each slot
> sync cycle is that calling GetCurrentTimestamp() very frequently
> (during each sync cycle of very active slots) could be too costly.

Right.

thanks
Shveta