Re: Conditional Tables in Postgres

От Imre Samu
Тема Re: Conditional Tables in Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Mubashir,

>  ... researching on using databases to implement network control infrastructure.  ...
>  Are there any postgres extensions/features that implement conditional tables

like this?

https://dl.acm.org/doi/10.1145/3472716.3472848  "Sarasate: a strong representation system for networking policies"
"Policy information in computer networking today is hard to manage. This is in sharp contrast to relational data structured in a database that allows easy access. In this demonstration, we ask why cannot (or how can) turn network policies into relational data. Our key observation is that oftentimes a policy does not prescribe a single ``definite'' network state, but rather is an ``incomplete'' description of all the legitimate network states. Based on this idea, we adopt conditional tables and the usual SQL interface (a relational structure developed for incomplete database) as a means to represent and query sets of network states in exactly the same way as a single definite network snapshot. More importantly, like relational tables that improve data productivity and innovation, relational policies allow us to extend a rich set of data mediating methods to address the networking problem of coordinating policies in a distributed environment."

   And it is a [ PL/python3u extension  + Z3-solver (Z3 API in Python) ] solution.
Probably easy to reimplement in

IMHO: if you have a favorite Python/R/Julia library in this topic - you can easily integrate it with PostgreSQL.

Regards,
  Imre