Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data

От John Naylor
Тема Re: WIP: a way forward on bootstrap data
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 3/22/18, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> how about letting the line go long, with the comment at the right of
> each definition, with one blank line between struct members, as in the
> sample below?  You normally don't care that these lines are too long
> since you seldom edit them -- one mostly adds or remove entire lines
> instead, so there's not as much need for side-by-side diffs as with
> regular code.  (One issue with this proposal is how to convince pgindent
> to leave the long lines alone.)

Yeah, it seems when perltidy or pgindent mangle things badly, it's to
try and shoehorn a long line into a smaller number of characters.  If
memory serves, I've come across things like this:

pg_node_tree proargdefaults BKI_DEFAULT(_null_); /* list of expression

                  trees for argument

                  defaults (NULL if none) */

And thought "only a machine could be so precisely awkward"

-John Naylor