Re: Improve the connection failure error messages

От Aleksander Alekseev
Тема Re: Improve the connection failure error messages
Дата
Re: Improve the connection failure error messages  (Nisha Moond <nisha.moond412@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Thanks for the patch.

> Due to this behavior, it is not possible to add a test to show the
> error message as it is done for CREATE SUBSCRIPTION.
> Let me know if you think there is another way to add this test.

I believe it can be done with TAP tests, see for instance:

contrib/auto_explain/t/001_auto_explain.pl

However I wouldn't insist on including the test in scope of this
particular patch. Such a test doesn't currently exist, it can be added
as a separate patch, and whether this is actually a useful test (all
the tests consume time after all...) is somewhat debatable. Personally
I agree that it would be nice to have though.

This being said...

> The ALTER SUBSCRIPTION command does not error out on the user
> interface if updated with a bad connection string and the connection
> failure error can only be seen in the respective log file.

I wonder if we should fix this. Again, not necessarily in scope of
this work, but if this is not a difficult task, again, it would be
nice to have.

Other than that v2 looks good.

--
Best regards,