Re: temporal support patch

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: temporal support patch
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 4:10 PM, Miroslav Šimulčík
<simulcik.miro@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have working patch for postgresql version 9.0.4, but it needs refactoring
> before i can submit it, because some parts don't
> meet formatting requirements yet. And yes, changes are large, so it will be
> better to discuss design first and then deal with code. Do you insist on
> compatibility with standard SQL 2011 as Pavel wrote?

Standards compliance is always going to make things easier in terms of
gaining community acceptance if you're targeting in core adoption.  At
the very least it will remove one barrier although you might be in for
a slog for other reasons.  You may not have known this, but postgres
had a time travel feature waaay back in the day (see:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/6.3/static/c0503.htm).  It was removed
for performance reasons and the first thing I'm wondering is how your
stuff performs in various scenarios and various other interesting
things. Also, +1 on use of range types  Anyways, thanks for submitting
and good luck!

merlin