Memory knob testing (was Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded)

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Memory knob testing (was Re: Let's make PostgreSQL multi-threaded)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Fri, Aug 25, 2023 at 8:35 AM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
Greetings,

This is getting a bit far afield in terms of this specific thread, but
there's an ongoing effort to give PG administrators knobs to be able to
control how much actual memory is used rather than depending on the
kernel to actually tell us when we're "out" of memory.  There'll be new
patches for the September commitfest posted soon.  If you're interested
in this issue, it'd be great to get more folks involved in review and
testing.

Noticed I missed this.  I'm interested.   Test #1 would be to set memory to about max there is, maybe a hair under, turn off swap, and see what happens in various dynamic load situations.

Disabling overcommit is not a practical solution in my experience; it moves instability from one place to another and seems to make problems appear in a broader set of situations. For zero downtime platforms it has place but I would tend to roll the dice on a reboot even for direct user facing applications given that it can provide relief for systemic conditions.

My unsophisticated hunch is that postgres and the kernel are not on the same page about memory somehow and that the multi-process architecture might be contributing to that issue.  Of course, regarding rearchitecture skeptically and realistically is a good idea given the effort and risks.

I guess, in summary, I would personally rate things like better management of resource tradeoffs, better handling of transient dmenands, predictable failure modes, and stability in dynamic workloads over things like better performance in extremely high concurrency situations.  Others might think differently for objectively good reasons.

merlin