Re: json datatype and table bloat?

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: json datatype and table bloat?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, Nov 4, 2013 at 12:14 PM, David Johnston <polobo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ajelinek@gmail.com wrote
>> Along the lines of the equality operator; I have ran into issues trying to
>> pivot a table/result set with a json type due what seemed to be no
>> equality
>> operator.
>
> For the curious, and also use-case considerations for development, would you
> be able to share what it is you are doing (and how) that combines full json
> documents with pivoting?
>
> Compound types holding source data for a pivot seems problematic since
> generally all the pivot components are single-valued and, for data, often
> numerical.

would also like to see this. json type has completely displaced
crosstab in my usage. I don't typically pivot json though: I pivot the
raw data then transform to json.  With limited exceptions I consider
storing json in actual table rows to be an anti-pattern (but it should
still work if you do it).

merlin