Re: Timeline Conflict

От Merlin Moncure
Тема Re: Timeline Conflict
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 12:59 AM, senthilnathan
<senthilnathan.t@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have system(Cluster) with Master replicating to 2 stand by servers.
>
> i.e
>
> M   |-------> S1
>
>      |-------> S2
>
> If master failed, we do a trigger file at S1 to take over as master. Now we
> need to re-point the standby S2 as slave for the new master (i.e S1)
>
> While trying to start standby S2,there is a conflict in timelines, since on
> recovery it generates a new line.
>
> Is there any way to solve this issue?

AFAIK, the only solution is to follow the initial standby setup
process to bring the standby up to sync with the new master.  One
small comfort is that since the standby is mostly in the state it
needs to be, an rsync based process might happen fairly quickly.  This
of course means that if you lose the new master before the standby is
up to speed you are facing data loss.  I'm really curious if anyone
has figured out a potential solution to this problem.

merlin